Tour guide in Moscow
Guide touristique à Moscou
Reiseleitung in Moskau
If you are interested in services of a tour guide in Moscow, please get in touch with us through our "Contact us" form, WhatsApp or email.
We will be glad to help you!
Church of the Deposition of the Robe
There is a small Church of the Deposition of the Robe standing between the Dormition cathedral and the Faceted Chamber (Deposition of the robe of Our Lady). It is a metropolitan church connected with worshiping a relic connected with Our Lady — her robe (clothes or shawl). The festival is celebrated on July 2 (15).
Church of the Deposition of the Robe is a house church of the Moscow metropolitans and of the Russian patriarchs.
The church stands on the metropolitan yard (beginning of the XIV century). In 1448 Jonah, a bishop from Ryazan became the head of the Russian church.
The first stone Church of the Deposition of the Robe was constructed in1451. It is said to be connected with one of the historic events that took place during the rule of Moscow prince Vasily II the Dark, who left Moscow, and at this moment the tartar army came. The tartars surrounded Moscow and were planning to capture it. The people of Moscow were praying. Metropolitan Jonah organized a collective prayer and a procession with icons that went around the walls of the city. On the following morning it turned out that the tartar army had retreated. This happened on the day of the Deposition of the Robe of Our Lady.
In 1473 there was a fire in the cathedral. In 1485 a new church was built on this spot, it is the one that we see now, yet since then it was changed and rebuilt several times. This cathedral was constructed in the times of metropolitan Geronty, during the rule of Ivan III by the masters from Pskov.
It is a 4 pier cross-domed one domed cathedral with 3 apses. Helmet-shaped cupola.
In the middle of the XVII century at the time of patriarch Nikon the construction of the new Chambers of Patriarch started, and it became residence of the patriarch.
Church of the Deposition of the Robe became one of the palace churches.