Tour guide in Moscow
Guide touristique à Moscou
Reiseleitung in Moskau
Excursion to Kolomenskoe of Moscow with private tour guide.
If you are interested in services of a tour guide in Moscow, please get in touch with us through our "Contact us" form, WhatsApp or email.
We will be glad to help you!
On the place of Kolomenskoe there were the most ancient settlements on the territory of Moscow. Archeological finds discovered during the excavations in the vicinity of Kolomenskoe relate to 5-3 centuries B.C. In Dyakovo, not far from the central part of the manor here was ancient city which has given a name to the archeological culture. Not so long ago on the territory of Kolomenskoe signs of settlement of the early middle ages period (8-10 centuries) were discovered and also place of settlement Dyakovo-water-meadow relating to 11-12 centuries.
The village Kolomenskoe situated on the way from Moscow to Kolomna. According to the legend, it was founded by the dwellers of Kolomna, escaping from the troops of Batu Khan. The first documentary references about Kolomenskoe relates to 14 century – these are records in ecclesiastical letter missive of Ivan Kalita (1336-1339). At first village was patrimony of grand dukes and then Russian princes.
According to the historical references this was the place where the troops of Dmitriy Donskoy stayed after Battle of Kulikovo in 1380 and troops of peter the Great after the battle of Poltava in 1790.
As we have already mentioned, from 14 th century Kolomenskoe became summer manor of Moscow rulers and during the period from 16 to 17 century unique architectural ensemble has been formed in the manor. In 1528-1532 Basil III built on the bank of Moskva River one of the first tent-shaped church in Russia – church of Ascension of Christ. By the assumptions of the researchers, the church was founded for the praying about the birth of child. This temple has been summer domestic church of Russian rulers for more than 100 years. Among the monuments of history and architecture located on the territory of Kolomenskoe there is a church of Beheading of St. John the Forerunner built by Ivan the Terrible in 1547-1554. This temple is a prototype of Saint Basil’s Cathedral on the Red Square and, most likely, it was built by the same masters. In 1610 in Kolomenskoe was General Headquarters of Ivan Bolotnikov, in 1610 - False Dmitry II.
During the period of reign of Alexey Michailovich Kolomeskoe has thriven. It was favorite residence of the tsar. During 20 years of his rule he came to the manor every summer for rest. At first young tsar used the manor for falcon hunt but later Kolomenskoe turned into splendid tsar residence. In 1667 the building of enormous wooden palace with 270 rooms began. Palace has been built in a year. It included wooden mansions with family church of Our lady of Kazan, Rich, Feeding, Bread yards or palaces, departmental chambers, Colonel’s chambers and guardrooms. Tsar yard was surrounded by the fence with three gates, and around it gardens were laid out. This palace was called eighth miracle of the world, it embodied the best traditions of wooden architecture. Young tsar peter I also lived in Kolomenskoe for some time and organized mock battles on Kojuhovskoe field.
After the capital was moved from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg Kolomenskoe fell into disrepair and under Catherine II wooden palace was disassembled. In 1766-1767 prince P.V. Makulov built new palace with four floors opposite church of Ascension according to his drawings. Two lower floors were made of stone and two upper floors were wooden. For the construction materials remained of dismantled wooden palace were used for the building. Also the second floor was built above the rest ensemble of 17th century which was used for the kitchen. Later the palace was partially dismantled and reconstructed. For the last time in was dismantled in 1872 with only outhouse remained.
Present- day State Integrated Art and Historical Architectural and Natural Landscape Museum-Reserve occupies area of 390 hectares. It’s situated to the south of Moscow center. In Kolomenskoe in the temple of Our lady of Kazan there is one of the most honored icons of Our Lady in Russia – Derzhavnaya (’the Sovereign”)